|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Flatbush Avenue (LIRR station). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Metro Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|
Flatbush Avenue, also called the Atlantic Terminal, is the westernmost stop on the Long Island Rail Road's Atlantic Branch. It is at Flatbush Avenue and Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. It is the main terminal for the Far Rockaway, Hempstead, and on weekdays, West Hempstead Branches. It serves Downtown Brooklyn and, via a subway connection, Lower Manhattan.
Connections and nearby attractions Edit
It is near several subway lines. The Atlantic Avenue IRT, Atlantic Avenue BMT, Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street BMT are inside the same station, while the Fulton Street IND station is three blocks northeast.
Tracks and platforms Edit
It has six tracks and three platforms.
- Tracks 1 and 2 each hold ten cars, though the first two cars are not accessible due to a large gap between the train and the platform.
- Tracks 3 and 4 each hold eight cars. BROOK Tower is at the east end of this platform.
- Track 5 holds six cars.
- Track 6 holds six cars, but only four cars can platform. The west end of this track is adjacent to the uptown 2 3 (1234) subway platform.
Future developments Edit
As part of the proposed Lower Manhattan-Jamaica/JFK Transportation Project, Flatbush Avenue station would switch from being a terminal station, it would become a through station for trains terminating at a proposed station in lower Manhattan.
- LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD - I. R. T. CONNECTION 1
- NYCSubway.org's page about the terminal
- The official station page
|Active terminals:||Penn Station (PT&T) - Grand Central (NYC) - Flatbush Avenue (LIRR) - Long Island City (LIRR) - Hoboken (DL&W)|
|Former terminals:||Communipaw (CNJ) - Exchange Place (PRR) - Pavonia (ERIE) - Weehawken (NYC)|
|Other stations:||Jamaica (LIRR) - Newark Penn Station (PRR)|
|Previous station||Long Island Rail Road||Next station|
|Terminus|| Atlantic Branch|
(City Terminal Zone)
toward Long Island